Gameday Central: Wake Forest vs. North Carolina, NC State
The Demon Deacons conclude their season with home matches against the Tar Heels and Wolfpack
Nov. 21, 2017
By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeVolleyball)
- Wake Forest concludes its 2017 season with home matches against in-state rivals North Carolina and NC State.
- The Demon Deacons take on the Tar Heels on Wednesday, Nov. 22 at 2 p.m. before playing their season finale against the Wolfpack on Friday, Nov. 24 at 1:30 p.m.
- Both matches will be streamed on ACC Network Extra.
Last Time Out:
- The Demon Deacons dropped road matches at Syracuse and Boston College in their final trip of the season.
- Wake Forest lost a 3-1 decision to the Orange on Friday, Nov. 17.
- The Deacs fell, 3-0, to Boston College on Sunday, Nov. 19. Kylie Long led the team with 18 kills and a .359 hitting percentage.
Wake Forest Storylines:
- Wake Forest sits at 12-18 (4-14 ACC) so far this season. The team needs just one more conference win to match last season's total of five.
- Senior outside hitter Kylie Long ranks sixth in the ACC, averaging a career-best 3.67 kills per set.
- Freshman setter Madeline Holt is eighth in the league with 8.40 assists per set.
- Senior libero Caroline Wolf made history on Friday, Nov. 10 against Pitt. Wolf now has 2,048 digs in her career, a Wake Forest record. She is also seventh in the NCAA among active players in career digs.
- Wolf also ranks fifth in the ACC with 4.18 digs per set.
- The Deacs have been strong defensively in 2017. They are fifth in the ACC in opponent hitting percentage (.203) and allow the third-fewest assists per set in the league (11.09).
Scouting the Opponents:
- After a four-match home winning streak, the Tar Heels have dropped their last two, on the road at Louisville and Notre Dame.
- NC State sits third in the conference at 14-4. The Wolfpack were also swept in their two-match road swing at Louisville and Notre Dame.
- Wake Forest is looking to snap a 10-match losing streak against North Carolina.
- Earlier this season in Chapel Hill, the Deacs pushed the Tar Heels, but fell in five sets.
- The team's last win over North Carolina came on Nov. 20, 2009.
- The Demon Deacons own a 31-27 overall record against NC State. The Deacs have lost five in a row against the Wolfpack. The team's last win over NC State occurred in 2014.
- Wednesday's match against North Carolina will be Team TCVA family night. TCVA is led by former Wake Forest head volleyball coach Heather Holmes
- Before Friday's season finale against NC State, there will be a FREE pre-match yoga class.